Monday, May 5, 2014

My Homemade Laundry Soap



If you have never made your own laundry soap, you are missing out! I have made homemade laundry soap many times. So far I have liked them all. The liquid version I made worked well, but it was more time consuming and hard to make.

I was almost out of soap today and thought I would just make my own since I had everything on hand.


This is what I used:


1 bar of laundry soap (Zote or Fels Naptha)

1/2 box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

1/2 box of borax

1 container of store brand OxiClean


Process the bar of soap in a food processor to grate it up. I used the shred blade and then switched to the regular blade to mix in the powder. The soap will still be a little chunky but processing it with the borax helps brake it down further.

The borax is usually a little clumpy so this is the one I added to the food processor with the grated soap. I chose only this one because it will not all fit in my processor. After the soap and borax is smooth, add them to a large container. Mix in the remaining ingredients. I put the lid on my container and shook it up to mix it.

You can also add scent boosters if you want. I like the Gain In-Wash Scent Booster the best. It takes just a small amount per load so I keep it separate and add some in as I want to.

That is it!! Use 2-4 Tbsp per load. I measured and found that the scoop that came with the OxiClean was 2 Tbsp so I use that. I put a note on my container that says: 1 scoop for small loads and 2 scoops for large loads.




No comments: