Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Shayla's Egg Custard

The BEST egg custard!

Have you ever tried egg custard? I had never tried it before last year, and really did not think I would like it. I found a recipe on Pinterest, of course.....my favorite place for new recipes. :) The first time I made it, it was okay. The custard was a little bland and boring. It was a little too egg-y! It needed some richness and depth to it. So, as usual, :) I changed it up. I was a little weary about it and wasn't sure if it would mess it up to change the ingredients. However, I came up with my favorite version, by far!

I make this in ramekins. It is pretty thick like a pudding. I have another version that I used for egg custard pies around the holidays. They were a huge hit! I will share that recipe later. It works better for pie though.



Shayla's Egg Custard


4 eggs

1/2 can of eagle brand milk

Skim milk

About 1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

Dash of sea salt


Whisk eggs by hand until well blended. Whisk in sugar, salt and vanilla. Pour eagle brand milk into a big measuring cup. Add skim milk to make 3 cups total of milk. Microwave milk until scalded (just under boiling). SLOWLY whisk hot milk into egg mixture. If you go too fast you will cook the eggs. Keep whisking, slowly, until you have added all the milk. Pour egg mixture into ramekins and place them in a larger baking dish. Fill the outside pan with warm water to surround the custard cups. You can sprinkle the custard with nutmeg if you like. I like it better without. Bake at 350 for 30 min, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. The custard may jiggle a little bit, but test it with a knife. The custard will set while it cools. I leave it in the water bath for about 15 more minutes once I remove it from the oven. Then I remove them to a hot pad to cool.

Store in the refrigerator after they cool, I just cover the ramekins individually with foil.

With the sweetened condensed milk, this is so creamy and just right!!

No comments: